December 30, 2009

Who is Dan Murphy?

Who is Dan Murphy?

Nobody really. Before the 09-09-09 raids I was not involved in the Medical Marijuana movement or community.

Before the CNOA protest I would not have considered myself an activist.

I have no idea who to rally behind, other than to support the victims. Nathan, James, Eugene, Donna, and others. For you see, in 2004 I was in the same position they are in now.

I lost my medicine, my freedom, my rights (vote, probable cause), my career, and my daughter!

I went through hell and back. I know the monster that they face.

I have learned many lessons from my experience in Corporate America as well as my years under the thumb of the legal system.

I see a lot of passion from the victims and those they surround themselves with. I am inspired.

I also see a lack of focus and clear definable goals.

As a nobody my perceptions are nothing special but they are telling since this is what the world outside the movement sees.

Yet I am an optimist. I see the MMJ movement in San Diego for what it can be. But we will not win the struggle here without the unified support of MMJ leadership and organizers.

Since I am not a big player in the MMJ movement I cannot expect to influence much. My hope is that by preaching mutual cooperation I can give a voice to the silent majority of supporters that want real change!

I have submitted an open letter to the MMJ community in hopes of strengthening the Movement in San Diego.

Please do not let this fall on deaf ears.

I maintain my position. I am willing, no, more than happy to have all interested parties join me Above the Fray.

See also:
Why I am a Target

Open Letter to the Medical Marijuana Community in San Diego

2 comments:

  1. Actually this letter is the better than the one you actually posted, Dan. It is sad that it has reached the point it has. I wish I had the answers, but I don't.
    I have no idea what to do.
    I hope that 2010 is better. I know I have two of the best possible people who have stepped in to represent me, and I am going to let go of the outcome, as If I have learned one thing in all this, is that the San Diego injustice system is a meatgrinder with it's own self interest. There is control on the media and the judges. Winning or losing is part good legal work, good actual facts, and having a judge actually willing to preside over a fair and unbiased trial, this latter being extremely important and totally out of my hands. I am letting go. As far as the infighting it is very real, and I am mixed up in it, it is not fun or healthy, and I have absolutely no idea how to deal with it.
    You are a good guy and could probably shine a path for a few of us walking blindly down this road.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Dan,

    I was very interested to read your Open Letter to the community, and like Donna, I feel that this letter is somewhat more powerful. That said, I'd like to have the opportunity to chat with you sometime. I am a 20-year military veteran (retired) and have just begun a new business focused on the professionalizing and legitimizing this industry. I realize it's something of an uphill battle, but no battle worth winning is easy. It will take leadership, as you noted, and it will take a larger number of people demanding that doctors, dispensaries, and other businesses in this space obtain and maintain a professional face that has mainstream appeal.

    But I ramble on. Please, if you'd like to meet/chat, please email me at diesel@mymarijuanacommunity.com or just find me on the site.

    ReplyDelete